Sometimes I am quite surprised when I am able to fly by the seat of my pants and make a yummy dinner out of ingredients I already have on hand. This particular pasta dish was so tasty that I wrote down how I made it so I could share it with you all. These are approximate measurements, since I just chopped and threw everything into the pan:
12 oz. whole wheat pasta (I used penne and rotini)
1 pkg Trader Joes Smoked Apple Chardonnay Chicken Sausage (this is my new favorite sausage - the description doesn’t do it justice)
¼ cup frozen peas
½ red onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
½ grated zucchini (I grated it, otherwise my kids won’t eat it)
¼ cup sliced sundried tomatoes in oil
2 medium sized fresh tomatoes chopped
1 handful fresh basil leaves, torn or sliced
1 ball fresh mozzarella cut into small pieces
salt and pepper
1. Boil pasta in salted water.
2. Heat about 2 tbsp oil in large pan over medium heat. Add onion and zucchini and cook until soft. Salt and pepper.
3. Add chopped chicken sausage. I like to take it out of the casing. Cook for a few minutes.
4. Add chopped garlic and tomatoes and cook for about a minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
(Optional: add ¼ cup white wine, let cook about 2 minutes.)
5. Add sundried tomatoes and peas. Stir to heat through.
6. Add drained pasta. Stir in small chunks of mozzarella, basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve.