Even though I try to plan meals ahead of time, there are still plenty of days that I realize I have no idea what I'm going to feed myself or my family. Luckily, I've come up with some staples that I keep on hand so that most nights we can have a healthy meal.
1. Whole wheat tortillas that I fill with beans and cheese, hummus and veggies, or eggs. I only buy tortillas from Trader Joe's because they are fresh and have only a handful of ingredients.
2. Wild Salmon from Trader Joe's. I usually have this in my freezer, and with it we eat broccoli or cauliflower, and potatoes or fresh baked bread dipped in olive oil and parm. Always, always, always buy wild salmon, never farmed salmon. It's much healthier, and contains far less contaminants. If you're interested in this, let me know and I'll do a separate post on it :)
3. Whole wheat pasta to toss with whatever veggies I have on hand, and/or with ground meat (that I almost always have in the freezer) and marinara sauce.
4. Organic mac and cheese for the kids from Trader Joe's or Annie's brand
5. Steamed broccoli to go with any or all of it - I buy this weekly. It's one of the only veggies my kids will always eat and it's one of the best veggies for you. (Don't microwave your broccoli - it will zap out most of the important nutrients!)
I hope this inspires you to think ahead and plan some quick, healthy meals for you and your families so you can avoid the drive thru!
Does anyone have quick dinner ideas to share?