This is one of my favorite recipes because it is fast, easy, and, of course, healthy!
Mexican Taco Stew
(adapted from wholefoodsmarket.com)
- 1 lb ground turkey (white or dark meat)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 tbsp taco seasoning **see note
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 (15 oz can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz can) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 oz can) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed (or mostly thawed)
- 2 cups salsa (mild or medium)
** I only buy taco seasoning from Whole Foods or Trader Joes or I make my own. Most of the brands at the supermarket have mostly ingredients that I don't recognize, and I know they contain a lot of MSG. I used ground turkey from Whole Foods and almost all organic ingredients.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Brown meat, season with salt and pepper.
- Add onion, pepper, and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Sprinkle with taco seasoning and stir.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, about 15 - 20 minutes
I promise that you will love this recipe!
Now that we're into 2013 and health-related new year's resolutions, what are some topics you'd like to see on ediblyenlightened.com?