This is such a good recipe that I've had on hand for a few years now. It's a hearty soup that is very filling and is easily adaptable if you don't have all of the ingredients.
Sausage, Veggie and Quinoa Soup
loosely adapted from this recipe
- 4 tbsp oil (I use coconut for most of my cooking)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb sausage (or any other ground meat)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 8 cups chicken broth (homemade if possible)
- 2 15oz cans diced tomatoes in juice, drained
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated fresh parmagiano reggiano or parmesan for topping
Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onions, carrots and bell pepper and saute until the vegetables start to soften, about 8-10 minutes. Add the sasuage and continue to stir and break up until cooked through. Add the Italian seasoning and stir. Add the broth, tomatoes, and quinoa. Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper if needed, ladle into bowls and top with cheese, if using.
I recently started an instagram account. Follow me here.