I love chicken fajitas but I really don't do a very good job of cooking chicken in a skillet. It's also incredibly difficult to cook dinner right before dinner time with our schedule so I really love crock pot meals. Everyone loves this!! Jeff and I ate ours as a salad on a bed of spinach, Grant ate his out of a bowl, Riese had a taco and Sam opted for a whole wheat tortilla.
Here's what you need:
2 pounds of chicken thighs (or chicken breasts), chili powder, cumin, salt, beans, diced tomatoes, salsa, onion, garlic, and peppers
Add chicken, seasonings, salsa, tomatoes, garlic and onions and cook on high for about 2 hours. I put the onions on top so they didn't get too mushy.
Add the peppers and beans and cook another 2 hours. Shred the chicken and cook another hour on low. It should look something like this:
And it's ready to eat! I chose to eat it on a bed of spinach with sour cream, quick homemade guacamole, salsa, and chips for a salty crunch!
Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas
adapted from this recipe
- 2 pounds chicken thighs
- 1 can of kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes, partially drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves chopped or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tsp cumin
- 5 tsp chili powder
- 1/2-1 tsp of salt
- tortillas, spinach, or taco shells
- optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, tortilla chips
1. Combine chicken, tomatoes, salsa, cumin, chili powder, salt and garlic in crock pot. Add onions on top and cook for about 2 hours on high.
2. Add sliced peppers and beans and cook another 2 hours on low.
3. Shred the chicken, stir to combine, and cook another hour on low.
4. Serve it any way you'd like! I definitely recommend sour cream and guacamole.
I hope you enjoy! 5 of us ate this and had enough for leftovers the next night. And if you have any favorite crockpot meals, please share! I'm always looking for new recipes.
I recently started an Instagram account. Follow me here.