By now you may have heard about people drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning, but maybe you're not sure why. Hopefully this post will explain why it's a wonderful habit and encourage you to start doing it yourself!
I feel so great after I've had my lemon water in the morning and I look forward to drinking it every day. For me, the key to making this a daily habit is prepping everything the night before. It probably takes less than a minute, but if I don't have it ready to go in the morning, I don't drink it.
So, at night I get everything ready:
- teapot filled with water on the stove
- lemon (washed)
- lemon juicer (if you don't have one of these I highly recommend getting one)
- cayenne pepper (I'll explain why later)
- stainless steel straw (too much acid is not good for your teeth)
- quart size mason jar (just make sure you don't drink out of plastic since the water is warm)
You may be wondering why I use such a big jar. Well, I was drinking out of a normal sized glass but I always craved more when I finished my first glass. I bought quart size jars to make some fermented foods and figured it would be the perfect size for my lemon water. And somehow after drinking that I still feel thirsty so I usually drink another quart of water.
So here are the easy instructions:
- Heat the water until it is warm and pour into your glass.
- Squeeze the juice from half a lemon into glass
- Add dash of cayenne pepper
7 Reasons to Drink Warm Lemon Water in the Morning:
- Rehydrates the body. After a long night of no fluids going into the body, this is just what it needs to get a good start on hydrating for the day.
- Flushes out toxins. The warm water and lemon stimulate the liver and help complete the overnight detox process.
- Aids the digestive system. It kick-starts the digestive system and can help improve digestion throughout the day.
- Increases metabolism. The cayenne pepper increases the detoxing effect and can even increase metabolism.
- Boosts immune system. Lemons are high in Vitamin C which helps boost the immune system. They also have antibacterial and antiviral properties that can help fight the flu, colds, and even soothe sore throats.
- Gives an energy boost. Many people give up their morning coffee or tea after starting this habit. I personally still have coffee but I don't feel like I "need" it anymore in the morning and I drink much less.
- Balances pH levels. Lemons have an alkalizing effect inside the body which helps to balance out the acidic environment. The more acidic our bodies are, the more prone we are to sickness and infection.
I hope that you'll give this a try. I love incorporating quick and simple habits like this that can have a big impact on our overall health and the way we feel. Do you have any habits that make you feel better? I would love to hear about them!
Don't forget to join my e-mail list so you can get these posts delivered to your inbox.
Like and comment on Facebook so that you continue to see my posts in your news feed (otherwise you may not see them).
Follow me on Instagram.