We all have times when we feel extra busy, but does our healthy lifestyle have to suffer?
I admit, it is very difficult for me to keep up with preparing healthy foods when we're not at home much. We've been in a rut lately with meals but now that my kids are back in school it will just be me and Grant at home (he just turned 2!). Although I loved having Sam and Riese at home all summer, I know I'll have a little more time in the afternoon while Grant naps to do some food prep (and hopefully more blogging!).
Here are my kids on their first day of school. This is the first time Riese will be away from me all day every day! I'm sure going to miss these faces.
So how do I stay healthy even when we're on the go and our calendar is packed? I stick with these simple habits that make me feel great:
7 Healthy Habits
- Lemon water in the morning. I talked about this in my last post. It's a great way to hydrate first thing in the morning.
- High quality vitamins. Not all vitamins are created equal! In fact, most of the brands out there don't have close to the amount of vitamins and minerals listed on the label. Find someone who sells vitamins or do you homework on the best brands for you and your family.
- Eat veggies at every meal. We all think about veggies at lunch and dinner, but you should really get some veggies in at breakfast as well. It's always good to eat raw veggies with every meal, but obviously cooked veggies are awesome, too. My kids eat cucumbers every morning with their breakfast and never complain about it because it's part of our routine. I did a post on veggies in the morning here.
- Healthy on-the-go snacks. If we're out running errands or taking kids all around town, it's easy to stop and get fast food. But if you're prepared with a few healthy snacks you can avoid stopping for junk food and feel so much better. For me this is usually a bag of raw almonds or an apple. For the kids it's usually apple slices or cheese sticks. It's worth the extra few minutes it takes before you walk out the door.
- Exercise at least 3 times per week. Amazingly, when I'm focused, I'm able to keep up with this. It makes a HUGE difference in the way I feel so I really try to make it a priority. Lately I pop in a 20-30 minute video that is almost all strength training, while also keeping my heart rate up.
- Drink lots of water. I don't have much more to say about this. I probably drink more than a gallon per day. Always keep a water bottle with you when you're on the go.
- Green Drink. This is a habit that I've been keeping up with and this, too, makes me feel great. I still follow my basic recipe but I make a bigger batch in my Blendtec and I also add chia seeds and sometimes hemp seeds.
Do you have any tips for staying healthy? If so, please share! I'm always looking for new things to incorporate into my routine.
I recently started an Instagram account. Follow me here.