I know, it's been 4 months since my last post. Yikes! I started working 2 days a week and it has been hard to find the time. But I really miss connecting with you! And I've been learning a lot and this is my favorite place to share what I know about nutrition and health. This is sort of a random update, but a short one, and I'd love to hear your thoughts...
I have been listening to some great podcasts and learning a lot about how to be even healthier, and how following a Paleo-type diet really is the best way to eat. I can't believe I'm finally saying that, but from what I've been learning, grains (especially wheat) are not healthy. Most grains are not good for us and I'm finally coming around to accepting that. I will be writing more about that in future posts, and sharing some recipes as well. But for now I wanted to let you know that I am heading in that direction. Not strict Paleo, but I'm cutting out most grains and the excessive sweets I was eating.
I'm sure some of you avoid wheat, or grains, or both, and I'd love to hear from you! I could use some tips because it is quite a shift. My kids still eat a decent amount of grains because it is harder to do a complete change in kids' attitudes and diets, but they're definitely not eating as many grains, and I'm trying to educate them along the way. If you do follow a Paleo diet or restrict grains, do you have a veggie spiralizer that you can recommend? I already miss pasta so I'm going to need one of those!
Here are some changes I've made lately that are making me feel great and have more energy.
1. Intermittent fasting. This is a big topic and one I may cover later. A few days a week I don't eat from about 7pm - 11am. If I do this I drink coffee with coconut oil or grass-fed butter. Have you heard of Bulletproof coffee? It's very similar.
2. No grains at breakfast. If I eat breakfast it is usually scrambled eggs with spinach and avocado, and maybe some sausage. Sometimes I'll drink a green drink in the morning as well.
3. No grains at lunch. I'm not perfect with this, but I try. It's easiest the days I work and I can control what I pack to eat at lunch time.
4. I do have some grains or complex carbs at dinner. Not always but I allow myself to eat it if I want it. Lately I have been roasting big batches of veggies - carrots, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, bell peppers, zucchini, onion, sweet potatoes, asparagus, butternut squash, broccoli, cauliflower. You name it and I have roasted it some time in the last month. All I do is toss it with oil and salt and pepper, put it in a 400 degree oven, and check on it. Some veggies take longer than others, but it's pretty much done when it has browned a bit and you can easily stick a knife in it. I've also been making salads to go with dinner. So a typical dinner lately is roasted chicken, roasted veggies, and salad.
5. I drink kombucha daily. I make it myself and it is so easy, so delicious and incredibly good for you. It's important to eat fermented foods on a regular basis, and I'm planning to make kimchi.
I hope to bring you more tips and recipes very soon! I would love to hear from you if you also have given up grains or if you have totally gone Paleo.
Have a great day!