Sheet Pan Sausage and Potatoes with Mustard Vinaigrette is simple to prepare and can be mixed and matched with whatever meat and veggies you have on hand!
Sheet pan dinners are my favorite lately! I don't think it gets simpler than this. Usually I simply season with salt and pepper, and maybe some Fox Point Seasoning (if you haven't tried this spice blend from Penzeys, you must!). This time I made a mustard vinaigrette from budgetbytes.com to pour over the top after it cooked and it was the perfect accompaniment for the sausage and veggies.
I was planning on just doing the sausage, potatoes, and cabbage but since I had some chicken breast in the fridge as well, I decided to chop those up and throw them on the pan, too. That's the great thing about sheet pan dinners - you can throw almost anything on there! For protein I like to do chicken, sausage, and salmon. For veggies I like grape tomatoes, brussels sprouts, zucchini, onion, whole garlic cloves, potatoes, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower. The combinations are endless! Just toss with some oil, salt and pepper, roast for about 30 minutes and dinner is ready!
When I made this I also wanted broccoli but I was out of room on the 2 pans so I steamed it instead, which is how my kids prefer to eat broccoli anyway. The vinaigrette was poured on at the end and it was seriously so, so good!
Here's the recipe, slightly adapted from this recipe on budgetbytes.com:
- 2 lbs mild italian sausage links
- 2 lbs small yellow potatoes, diced
- 1/2 head cabbage, cored and sliced
- 3 chicken breasts (or thighs)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper (I sprinkled on my new favorite seasoned salt before it went in the oven)
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (see my post on the health benefits of ACV here)
- 2 Tbsp coarse mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper (this is optional but I love the easy cleanup with parchment paper).
- Toss the potatoes in a bowl with a couple teaspoons of olive oil, salt and pepper, and pour out onto baking sheet. Lay the cabbage pieces on the baking sheet, brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the chicken into large pieces, toss with olive oil and salt and pepper and place on baking sheet. Put sausage onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes or until the sausage and chicken are cooked through. Halfway through, lightly stir the potatoes and flip the sausage.
- While the meat and veggies are cooking, make the vinaigrette: Put all ingredients into a bowl and stir, or into a jar and shake.
- I had the vinaigrette on the table so we could put on how much we wanted. The kids didn't want it but Jeff and I thought it was awesome!