This one-pan meal is as simple as throwing together a marinade and chopping some veggies. It's best to marinate the chicken for a few hours and you'll see that the combination of honey and balsamic paired with fresh herbs is Amazing!
One thing I love about sheet pan meals is that the clean up is so easy! I don't know about you, but spring time is very busy for us with gymnastics, soccer, baseball, and scouts. I find that if I have this meal prepped before I pick up the kids from school, I can pop it in the oven when we get home and there's time to sit down for a meal before we need to get back in the car and head out.
Then all I have to clean up are the 1-2 pans I used, and since I usually use parchment paper, I just toss that out, and quickly wash the pan. I don't know why I didn't start using parchment paper earlier! It's definitely one of my kitchen favorites right now.
I have made this recipe several times now and every time I make it we just can't get enough of it! The kids like the chicken but they're pretty particular about how they like their veggies. They would willingly eat the carrots in this, but I have to make them eat just one piece of the other veggies. I figure if I keep making them try whatever they don't prefer, they'll start to like it more, or at least tolerate it until their palates mature a bit.
Jeff and I, on the other hand, keep going back for more of the veggies. The combination of the marinated chicken and the veggies is so darn good! You can really taste the honey and balsamic on the chicken, and the marinade helps to flavor the veggies as well.
I used boneless skinless chicken thighs in this recipe because they are so flavorful and if they overcook a little, they won't dry out. But if you prefer chicken breasts, those will work too. And substitute whatever veggies you like or have on hand. Recipes can almost always be adapted to what you have in your fridge and pantry. Don't be afraid to stray from the recipe!
Here are my two pans, ready to go in the oven:
Honey Balsamic Chicken and Veggies
adapted from this recipe on tiphero.com
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 cup chopped carrots (I used a couple handfuls of baby carrots)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- fresh parsley (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil, grapeseed oil, or avocado oil
For the marinade:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 5 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (or substitute 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 425. Line pans with parchment paper or grease pans.
- Prepare the marinade by mixing all marinade ingredients in a bowl. Put chicken thighs into a ziplock bag, pour the marinade in, and make sure the chicken is coated with the marinade. Place in refrigerator for at least an hour, but up to 4-6 hours increases the flavor even more.
- Chop the veggies, put in large bowl and toss with oil, salt and pepper.
- Divide the veggies between 2 sheet pans (you don't want them to be too overcrowded).
- Divide the chicken between the 2 pans on top of the veggies, and pour the remaining marinade evenly over the chicken and veggies.
- Cook in preheated oven for about 40 minutes, stirring the veggies about halfway through.
- To serve, add chopped parsley for some freshness and color. Enjoy!
If you make this, let me know what you think! Are there any other recipes you'd like to see? If so let me know!
Follow me on instagram here.
Follow me on Facebook here.